This one-day course will provide groups of students hands-on experience tailored to different aspects of live music performance. Interested in being a songwriter/performer, instrumentalist, stage manager or sound engineer? This 1-day intensive course will provide instruction, hands-on experience and top-notch advice which will culminate in live performances where all the workshop participants will combine their newly acquired knowledge.
Folk U: 2:00 - 7:00 pm
Youth Jam: 7:30 – 9:00 pm - free
- Songwriters start their day with Kris Demeanor, songwriter extraordinaire www.krisdemeanor.com.
- Instrumentalists start their day with Jason Valleau, where they learn how to chart, arrange and improvise www.polyjesters.com.
- After Kris has finished helping with the polishing up of songs, the songwriters continue to Jason’s class, where the instrumentalists chart the songs and then collaborate with the songwriters to arrange and rehearse the songs for a live performance at the end of the day.
- Kenna Burima www.kennaburima.com will coach all the students on how to get the most of their soundchecks, how to work with sound techs and sound equipment, how to connect with material, bandmates and audience members.
- Ian Menzies and Cole Lord-May will mentor backline, stage management and live audio engineering to a separate group of youths while the songwriters and instrumentalists are being coached by Kenna.
- The workshops converge in live performances and an open mic (open to all youths), managed and tech’d by the youths from Ian and Cole’s workshops